Get Ready for the Homemade Hair Product Series…
Mix an Entire Product Line for Yourself
Laaaaayyyddiiiieeessss !! [In my Missy Elliot voice] We are about to GO HARD ! Ready? Ok, sooowah as you have probably learned by now, Fancy is Frugal (that’s the bougie word for cheap, y’all). So I’m coming to you with a series of DIY hair products featuring…
1. A pH-balanced, protein/moisturizing deep conditioner (DC)
2. Natural homemade shampoo
3. Hot (and haute) oil treatment made with 5 natural oils
4. Protein treatment mask.
How to Use Your Homemade Hair Product Arsenal
Use one or more these products on wash days as needed to maintain your moisture/protein balance, minimize breakage and promote hair growth. Keep in mind shampooing should be done in moderation, but use your own discretion and do what works for your hair LEGGO!
pH-Balanced Protein/Moisturizing Deep Conditioner Recipe
Now, this is not just any DC; it’s THE DC. Your hair will be soft, shiny, strong and moisturized because it contains humectants and proteins plus an acidic ingredient to restore your hair’s pH balance.
What you will need:
- ACV (Apple cider vinegar is a acidic (pH 2.9) that closes/smooths the hair shaft to make it shiny & prevent tangling/breakage. It also removes mineral buildup from hard water.
- 2 eggs (Protein!)
- Honey (Acts as a humectant to moisturize your tresses.)
- EVOO (Extra virgin olive oil is a natural hair softener.)
- 1 Large cup
- Medium-sized bowl
1. Mix 1 part ACV with 3 parts water in a cup (or pitcher, empty 2-liter bottle). Set aside.
2. In a bowl, whisk 2 eggs. Add 4 to 6 tablespoons of mayo and mix together.
3. Squeeze in 1 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Whisk until well-blended.
1. First shampoo your hair and rinse out all of the product. Next, rinse with the ACV/water mix. Let the rinse sit between 5-10 min then rinse hair with cold water.
2. Coat your hair with the mayo mixture, then separate into sections using plastic clips to hold your hair in place. Take each section one at a time and apply the conditioner. Put on a plastic cap or a plastic grocery bag (works just as good, chile!) Movin on…
3. Leave the plastic on your hair approximately 45 minutes. Rinse and follow with your favorite co-wash product. Mine is V05 but y’all already knew that, right? Well you should because it’s only about $1 and I said I’m cheap, I mean…frugal. Use a cotton tee shirt to absorb the water from your hair.
Recipes- Natural Hair Product Mixes